Sunday, January 10, 2010

Understanding Biochar from Biomass Energy --
Part I

During the next few months we will be posting our understanding of the potential benefits of biochar (on our Blog and also our webpages on Biochar and Soils).

Three aspects of biochar have especially piqued our interest:

(1) Terrestrial carbon sequestration and reductions in other greenhouse gases like nitrous oxide emissions from soils,

(2) Improvements in Water Quality (e.g., wetland creation and enhancements, water pollution from nutrient runoff -- P, K, N).

(3) Agriculture (improved soils for higher crop yields requiring less fertilizer).


1 comment:

Ron Larson said...

Steve:
Erich is a friend - and I am not surprised that he again got to this fine website before me. I second everything he has said about Biochar.
I would like to chat off-line about your work. I am doing some analysis very much like yours and think we can help each other develop stronger arguments on why Biochar is important. Hope you can write. Ron